There is still time to apply to kindergarten for the 2016-2017 school year and we want to share some helpful tips as you choose schools to list on your application. Applications are accepted through January 15, 2016. You can update your application until January 15 if you have already submitted.
Here is how the school pages in the 2016 Kindergarten Directory can help you learn about your zoned school and other program options.
1. School Type: Understand your student’s priority level—see whether the school is zoned, non-zoned, or in a choice district and look at their admissions priorities. This information will help you understand your student’s priority to attend that school.
2. Program Information: Prepare for the application—use the program name and code when you list a school on your application. Some schools have a dual language program option that has a different program code; list the school’s dual language program code as another choice on your application, if you are interested in that option.
3. Contact Information: Get answers to specific questions—reach school staff by phone or email. You can also attend a school tour or open house in person.
4. General Information: Know your student’s day-to-day experience—read a summary of how many students are enrolled, what grades they serve, and if the school shares a building.
5. School Performance and Quality Review Score: Review the academics—see the school’s English and Math proficiency results for 2014-2015 and their most recent Quality Review Scores.
6. ELL Programs: Learn about supplemental services—find out which English language development support services and programs a school currently offers.
7. Icons: Find out about specialized services—see if a school is Functionally Accessible. All schools offer Special Education and English Language Learner programs.
Please Note: Family Welcome Centers are closed December 24-January 1; some sites are accepting kindergarten applications December 28-30—visit the Family Welcome Centers page for a list. Over-the-phone application service is closed December 24-25 and December 31-January 1. You can always apply online.
If you have questions about Kindergarten Admissions, email us at ESEnrollment@schools.nyc.gov or call 718-935-2009.